Sunday, February 20, 2011

Black Swan - The ballet movie to watch of this decade



I have always love ballet movies. This year would be great to have another ballet movie added to my collection. It is exactly TEN years since Center Stage was shown in Malaysian cinemas. Mao's Last Dancer wasn't shown even here, so I had to "import" the DVD from Down Under. Thus, when I got the wind that Black Swan will be shown here, I got extra EXCITED!

And for a good reason too, as Black Swan is not your regular run-of-the-mill ballet movie. I think Darren Aronofsky has done justice to make it into a ballet movie with a twist. It is a psycho-sexual thriller. What thrills me is that Aronofsky has chosen Swan Lake to be the ballet featured in this movie, with Benjamin Millepied, principal dancer of the New York City Ballet choreographing the dance scenes for the movie. Millepied's wife is also the lead actress in this movie, i.e. the ever-so-gorgeous Natalie Portman.

Swan Lake is a ballet that has intrigued me for many years as a ballet student, and even now when I'm no longer directly involved in ballet. It is because I am intrigued with the character of Black Swan, which casts an air of mystery where the plot of the ballet is concerned. The Black Swan's costume is another reason why I'm so spellbound by this ballet. For those people who are obsessed about ballet like me, they would be able to understand what I'm raving about.

And Black Swan has done exactly what makes the ballet Swan Lake so darn intriguing - exploring the unexplored realms of the ballet on the silver screen. Watch this space for my review of Black Swan coming soon!

2 comments:

  1. Now this sounds good. I'm in the mood to watch Flashdance too.

    Au is eating!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. When I was watching your trailer,I felt exactly like Nina(Natalie Portman)about being jealous,left out when Mila Kunis(Lily)arrived at the scene.I felt betrayed.I am also once a mild schizoprhenic.But I didn't end up like Nina who took her own life.I am glad that I didn't got on the act although the intention 'was' always there.That's the feeling of being a schizophrenic.I conquered that feeling everytime it arrives.Just like Lily here(Mila Kunis)who arrived suddenly,Nina should have confided in her mother....

    ReplyDelete