Thursday, April 28, 2011

To have a smartphone or not to have smartphone?


The other day I heard a news report about representative from the telecommunication industry commenting that many Malaysians still do not own a smartphone. I was wondering if that person really realised the possible reasons of many Malaysians have yet to own a smartphone. A typical Malaysian like yours truly have several reasons for not owning one.

First the cost of buying a smartphone is extremely prohibitive. Next would be the high the telco charges, especially for the usage of 3G/4G and/or WIFI services. Finally, a smartphone like the iPhone would need applications that don't come cheap, let alone free of charge. Not to mention, possible other hidden charges not listed when a purchase of a smartphone and accompanying call/data plan are being made.

Although I am not very tech-savvy, I do like to own one of those smartphones to experience first hand what it is like to own one. But I don't think I would own one any time soon as I don't have the money to commit myself to owning a smartphone. Unless circumstances forced me to do so; but I could forsee that it will not happen in this near future yet.   

No comments:

Post a Comment