Sunday, April 3, 2011

Potato crisps - local versus imported


One pick-me-up snack I enjoy eating would be potato crisps. However, this snack could yield some surprises especially when you buy them in those stack up tall cans. I would prefer to buy locally manufactutred potato crisps in the stack up tall cans as they are much cheaper than the imported ones but they always leave me much to be desired. But I often find the crisps to be all crushed and smashed up, not neatly stacked up like I would have come to expect. Just looking at them all crushed and smashed up would have made me lost my desire to eat them but because I'd have bought them with my hard-earned money, I would eat them right to the last crumb so as to make sure they do not go to waste.

However, when buying imported potato crisps in the stack up tall cans, I would be pleased to see that the crisps aren't all crushed and smashed up. They would be in almost perfect condition as the day they were manufactured, packed and shipped to Malaysia. My ultimate favourite would be Lay's Stax, either the Original or Sour Cream and Onion varieties. But eating these crisps would mean I'd be ingested unwanted amounts of fats and sodium, thus, I have to control my excessive desire for eating them.

It makes me wonder why the quality control, especially where shipping and handling are concerned of the local manufacturers and retail outlets are abysmally poor. Why is there such a HUGE difference in the quality of the potato crisps when consumers like me buy them? is it because of the fact that the main difference is locally manufactured versus overseas manufactured? And also the fact the price to be paid is another factor to be considered?  

No comments:

Post a Comment