Monday, April 25, 2011

Going gaga over Justin Bieber? Not me!

Just the Way You Are (2-Track)


Justin Bieber, the Canadian teen singing sensation who found his fame on You Tube not too long ago was in Kuala Lumpur performing to a sell out concert last Thursday. As he is only 17 years old, naturally kids below 18 years of age would go overly gaga on this teen singing sensation. However, this oldie here isn't amused with the Bieber fever phenomenon currently happening around the world. And she wonders why what the fuss is all about.

No doubt Justin Bieber is talented and sings pretty good songs that are selling well. Also with acting and film credits to his name. He is good looking for his generation of "Bieliebers" but not exactly drop dead gorgeous. I found there are no valid reasons for one to go overly gaga over this singer. Enjoying the songs Justin Bieber has released and the acting stints he has made thus far is good enough.

I remembered those days while growing up in the 1980s and 1990s where teens then would just go overly gaga on New Kids on the Block (NKOTB as they were better known) and girls especially would swoon over Tommy Page, a supposedly drop dead gorgeous singer. But I would just shrugged my shoulders and just enjoyed the songs they used to sing when being played on the radio or when my brother would play the cassette tape over and over at home and in the car.

I'm not afraid to admit I did went gaga over a singer many years ago. No, it's not a male singer but a female singer by the name of Gloria Estefan. I used to be obsessed to listening to her songs all day long without getting sick of them. And yes, I did attend TWO of her live concerts, once in Kuala Lumpur and the other in Perth, Australia. It was wonderful experience attending those live concerts as you would be swept away by the feverish pitch of the excitement that often comes with these live concerts.

As much as I liked Gloria Estefan then, my gaga-ness never went over the edge as my parents often kept it in check. I loved her songs to the extent I have an almost complete collections of her songs in the form of CDs. Back then, the Internet wasn't as a big thing as now, so having those CDs was the in-thing to do and a privillege.

I still enjoy Gloria Estefan's songs but I have gotten over my gaga-ness on her. I have diversified my music taste to many other singers as I grow older, but I don't think I would ever go gaga over any of them like I was when I was younger. I would just sit back and enjoy as well as appreciate the good and great songs being released by new and talented singers these days. Right now, I'm very much into Bruno Mars' Just The Way You Are and Marry You, Train's Hey Soul Sister and If It's Love and Michael Bublé's Haven't Met You Yet.


And am very much hoping these songs would perk up my days, especially now that I am an extremely struggling writer trying to make ends meet...


Hey Soul Sister

No comments:

Post a Comment