Sunday, July 17, 2011

Sometimes, you REALLY need to stop and smell the roses



Life can be very unpredictable. It can throw at you challenges so horrendous when you least expected it. Especially for people who might think life is treating them very well, they often forget the other side of life and tend to take it very much for granted, including yours truly. But of late, things have been extremely difficult for me that forced me to view and take life more seriously than usual.

An incident a few days ago, really jolted me into intense grief that made me realise life is something many people don't put much value to it nowadays. For me to prove my point, all you need to do is to flip through the pages of the newspapers daily and you will find plenty of news on fatal road accidents, cold-blooded murders and merciless armed robberies and snatch thefts happening rampantly, just to name a few. But I have digressed.

A very good and close friend of mine suffered a heart attack last Thursday. I only got the news Saturday morning when he sent me an email. He managed to get to the hospital in good time to have an angioplasty and a stenting procedure done to save his life. Thankfully, his condition is improving and I hope and pray that he will recover well and completely soon. I burst into tears after reading his email and the tears just would not stop streaming down my cheeks for the rest of the day. Unfortunately for me, unavoidable circumstances have rendered me unable to visit him at the hospital.

I am actually not able to fathom the idea of him succumbing to a heart attack at a relatively young age. The idea really terrified me very much. It makes me shudder with fear just at the mere thought of it. I think the idea of death of some one I care about a lot, be it a close and very good friend and even a family member has an extremely profound impact on my emotions in ways I can never imagine and comprehend. All the more it is strange that I could somehow foretell when a not-so-good thing is going to happen to someone I know and care about very much.

Prior to my friend's heart attack I had a dream in which I think it was a premonition or a warning sign the inevitable could have happened. And it REALLY came VERY CLOSE to happening. Two days before the incident in this dream, I had actually saw him standing in a very dark place (only he and I were visible) looking at me with a demure facial expression. I tried to reach out to him, only to find that he was drifting away from me into the dark oblivion, disappearing from my life altogether and forever. I woke up the next morning feeling awful beyond description.

This dream I had was actually the third in my entire 30 odd years in life, thus far. The previous two times a few years ago experiencing similar dreams has rendered outcomes I had never expected to face at all, and yet they did happen. They all had to do with the deaths of two family members whom I was really close to and care about a lot.

It is because of this kind of experience I had in the past that I view life and death more seriously, maybe too seriously than most people would. Thus, I have a very different outlook where life and death are concerned. That is why I work very hard to keep the friendships and relationships I have established because they REALLY mean a lot to me, each and every one of them. All the more, I try my very best not to take them for granted lest I would live a life full of regrets. And I always make the effort and time for all the people I know because life is REALLY like a box of chocolates, you'll never know what you're gonna get, as Forrest Gump was quoted to be saying in the movie Forrest Gump, starring Tom Hanks.

All the more we all should stop and smell the roses from time to time and not be caught up further with the rat race we are already in. Finding the right balance is my ultimate aim to fulfilling my goals in life. And this friend, who is recovering from his heart attack has taught me the invaluable lessons in life more than he could have imagined in just almost three short years I have come to know him, and at times even more than what my family members have taught me in my lifetime (I am not undermining the importance of the family institution here) thus far.

This blog is a fitting tribute to my friend who is always willing to be there for me through all the good and bad times I have been experiencing, he has never failed to give me encouragement from Day One I got to know him. Even the email he sent from his hospital bed has been optimistic, the very same optimism he would use to encourage me when I feel hopelessly discouraged.

Prof., my thoughts and prayers are with you and your family as always. I pray and hope very much you will make a full recovery soon. No amount of words could describe the gratitude and appreciation I am indebted to you for all you have done and are still doing for me tirelessly. May God Bless you always.

People should receive their bouquets when they are alive. 
~Allegra Kent, Once A Dancer... An Autobiography~                 

3 comments:

  1. Pet a kitten, that's my advice :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. @ Au and Target: Thanks, I have no kitten to pet, so I'll go and talk to my pet fighting fishes instead. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I had stopped and smell the roses at a very young age,in fact I value life to the fullest and I live each day praising God that I have at least one last breath to take..

    ReplyDelete