Monday, January 17, 2011

May you rest in peace Swee Len, I will miss you dearly my friend...


This blog is written to pay tribute to a primary school classmate whom tragically fell to her death on 14 January 2011 at Radisson Hotel, Amsterdam. The late Chin Swee Len was my primary school classmate for six years in Convent Primary School in Kajang, and thereafter we were schoolmates when we went to Convent Secondary School, Kajang. Frankly, I don't really know her very well as we were not very close when we went to school together, however, I can say Swee Len was a very sweet and nice person.

Swee Len's untimely and shocking death has jolted many of us who knew her from our school days to a surreal and brutal reality that in this rat-race and materialism-infested world, quality balance in life could be worth nothing at all. Swee Len, like many of us working-class people often would have to endure many hardships in order to "make it in life".

My heart aches terribly  for her family who has to endure her untimely demise. There are no words I could find to describe this loss as only a friend, I cannot imagine the kind of immense impact it will have on Swee Len's family, especially on her husband and her only child. All I could do is pray and hope that her family will be able to come to accept her death and be at peace with this unprecedented blow of fate.

Swee Len and I found each other on Facebook in 2009, when I was then working as an administrative officer in a Malaysian public university and Swee Len had been working for Malaysia Airlines System (MAS) as a cabin crew. We managed to communicate on Facebook 18 years after we left school to chart our respective career paths. I was actually very happy to have found her and many other friends whom we went to school together.

I'm so lost for words that I really do not know what to say. Swee Len, I really wished we could meet each other face-to-face after such a long time but now it's just only a wishful thinking. May you rest in peace my friend and I know you will take care of your husband and child as how you would when you were alive. And I would like to offer the following prayer to you and your family:

My soul rest in peace in God alone;
    my salvation comes from Him.
He alone is my rock and my salvation;
    He is my fortress, I will never be shaken.
Psalm 62:1-2

Amen.

7 comments:

  1. i believe many of us share your feeling.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Poor family. It must be such a shock.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is a really brutal shock not only to her family but to those who knew her as well.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the tribute, SL. Although not close in school, my heart ache thinking about her demise.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for all the sharing and support. FYI, this tribute has reached more than 200 pageviews as the result of our shared grief and sorrow for a dear friend whom we have grown up together all those many years ago.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Rant N' Rave
    is a site for people to come and vent, complain, bitch about anything and just let their feelings out. it is also a place where people can come and praise and compliment things like
    product or anything they like. It's a place where people can come and speak what is in their mind and argue if they want to or agree. They know that this website is a place to meet like-
    minded people or people they can have great debates with.

    ReplyDelete