Wednesday, June 29, 2011

The BALD truth... how ladies should handle this sensitive issue

Disclaimer: The contents of this blog post may deemed offensive to some people. If you do find it offensive please navigate away from this page. I welcome positive and constructive criticisms and comments but not the ones that discredit me and/or ruin my reputation as a person and as a blogger/writer, not to mention my blog as a whole.  


For many ladies, the hair is their crowning glory and plays an important part in the overall physical look. However, in this day of modern and technological edge, not to mention at a life on the extremely fast lane, the hair style should be simple enough to maintain with minimal fuss and use of shampoo, conditioner, hair styling products and hair accessories. Also, less often visits to the hair stylist.

Ladies have been going bald for ages in fact, and for various reasons too. Some of them made their personal choice - religious reasons, illness (cancer), self-expression, to support charitable causes and joining uniformed training just to name a few; however, others might have made the decision to go bald due to unavoidable circumstances.       

I have kept long, medium-long, short and very short hair styles in the different phases of my life. Now, I am in my thirties, I have a very short hair style, the pixie hair cut. In fact, in a couple weeks' of time, I am planning to go for another hair cut and this time I will still maintain the pixie hair cut look, only that I will crop it extremely short and close to the scalp, preferably less than one inch in length.

For those people who know me well personally and face-to-face, you might be very surprised and may be even shocked at my action. I have reasons for this and they are very valid along the lines of practicality when I made the decision. What actually spurred me to this decision was the hue and cry that was made by an individual when she had to shave bald to attend the Fire and Rescue Training in May this year. She has since withdrew from the said training.

For most ladies who have actually gone bald and/or planning to go bald, except becoming bald because of illness especially due to cancer, where the hair lost might not regrow, doing it is normally NOT an issue unless there are hair and/or scalp problems. Not to mention if you also count the stares you get in the public, especially in Malaysia. When one is bald or virtually bald, hair grows to a reasonable length in six months, unless you are aiming for waist-length hair in a very short period.

I am saying from my personal experience, having lost 40% of mine for brain surgery several years ago. It would NOT even be an issue if I went completely bald then. Yes, I did get all the undesired stares when I was in public but that did not bother me because I know my hair would grow back properly. As I was already having short hair at that time, regrowing the lost hair was actually a cinch as I have a hair stylist who did a wonderful job in restyling my hair to blend the bald patch with the rest of the hair. Six months was all it took for my hair to be at its original state.

Most ladies, including yours truly here do look good in long hair. But once in a while, having very short hair or no hair at all can be very liberating in terms of self-expression. In fact many ladies DO actually look good bald, not counting celebrities becoming bald for acting reasons. If one has to go bald for any reason at all, there is always a choice to make, either to reject it completely or accept it as part of life's challenges.

It is time to for the society to shed the perception that only bald men look good but not bald ladies. And ladies should not be afraid to turn heads one in a while, as having very short hair or no hair at all could do some good to the general stereotypical perception of the roles females have to play in the society. It would actually be boring to see all ladies have long hair most, if not all the time. And DEFINITELY I would not mind to be one of the ladies who turns heads with her hair style. Yup, I am REALLY looking forward to going virtually bald in a couple of weeks' from now, and no I won't shed any tears because of it as this is a choice I have made. 

Source: The Star Online - June 25 2011
   

3 comments:

  1. I think it would suit some people, but I think you'd have to be skinny.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have thin greying hair which I coloured with hair-dye.If I were to have short hair,I would look younger but I wanted to be more matured as I'm past the age of childhood.I am growing long hair and always tied up with a hair band or pony tails. I have shouldered-length hair but sometimes curly.

    I think you'd look great with short hair considering you're young..

    ReplyDelete
  3. Au and Target: I'm not exactly skinny and neither am I on the fat side although I have a round face with a plus-size body. Actually, I'm experimenting with this idea wanting to know if it'll look good on me. Also, I'm doing it on the lines of practicality as our weather has been extremely scorching and sweltering of late, not to mention minimal issues concerning my hair, which is actually very stubborn to manage.

    ReplyDelete