Friday, November 11, 2011

11.11.11 - Is it REALLY a special day?

Today is Friday, 11.11.11... a date in which would only happen once in a hundred years in a century. I am really wondering if this date is really that special as been highlighted with so much hype in the media, especially the print media. This day would have been special to people who have their birthdays and/or wedding day/anniversary. And that is if they have the privillege to witness it happening. Other than this, I think it is just like any other day that is passing by unless anyone choose to make it special and/or significant for themselves and/or their loved ones.

But for some one I know who is a writer friend and syndicated columnist in major newspapers and magazines around the globe, it is a special day for her and especially to her feline companions. Ellen Whyte, has published the 789th blog post about her kitty companions today. I personally feel that this is a REAL feat not many people would have achieved, especially when you are a writer and/or a person pursuing a career in the creative industry. I am GENUINELY happy for Ellen to have achieved this unique feat. I also hope, if it is even possible at all, Ellen would come out with the 800th blog post when 20.11.2011 comes around, which in reality it is only nine days away.

Personally, I feel that dates like today 11.11.11 and the upcoming 20.11.2011 is nothing special really. They are just like any other dates and days in the calendar, the only major difference would be how the dates are uniquely collated following the Gregorian calendar humankind has been using for a very long time now.  However, I'm not so sure about the views of the scholars of the different major cultures in Malaysia would have, i.e. Malays, Chinese and Indians.

Nevertheless, I wish all my family and friends to savour and enjoy today as it only comes once in a century. I think it depends on how you look at it and to decide if you want to make it a special day to remember. Last but not least, happy 11.11.11!

2 comments:

  1. Hey thanks! We're blushing at the compliments!

    We meant to look out for 11.11.11.11.11.11 but we were seduced by some rost chikkun and forgot.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Au and Target: The rost chikkun is THE REWARD for this special day, and I'm sure it tastes EXTRA DELICIOUS today. :)

    ReplyDelete