Saturday, September 3, 2011

Michelle Yeoh - the true Malaysian iconic artiste


I was watching a special programme about Michelle Yeoh produced for the Bio channel for Astro TV on NTV7 on Thursday night, in conjunction with Malaysia's 54th Independence Day. It was a really an eye-opening experience getting to know Michelle Yeoh up close and personal.

The life story of Michelle Yeoh is somewhat very sketchy to me. However, I did know some bery basic facts about her - the desire to be a ballerina and that she was Miss Malaysia in 1983. What I did not know was that Yeoh has been very active in the movie and film industry in the 1990s. She only grabbed my attention when she acted in a James Bond movie, Tomorrow Never Dies in 1997. Prior to this, I was never aware of her exploits in the movie and film industry, maybe because she was based in Hong Kong and that the movies she had acted in did not catch my attention then.

I think it was only that when her first foray into Hollywood acting in Tomorrow Never Dies propelled Yeoh into international stardom and recognition. Her subsequent Hollywood movies such as Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon and Memoirs of a Geisha were I think sealed her fate as a well-known international actress, although I did not watch those movies yet. However, I did manage to catch her in action in Tomorrow Never Dies.

After watching this special programme about Michelle Yeoh, I realised that she is a very special person in more ways than one. The main thing I admire about Yeoh is that her tenacity and focus in achieving her goals in life, and being a ballet student for many years gave her those very qualities to succeed in life. I feel a tinge of pride that ballet laid THE foundation for her career in acting, subsequently paving the way for her to international stardom.

The recognition she receives from the international film industry especially Hollywood bodes well for Malaysia. Like many other Malaysians who excel in their respective fields of expertise internationally, Michelle Yeoh is in a class of her own in which defines her to be the true Malaysian iconic artiste.    

1 comment: